Website Linking Policy
Throughout its website, GalenaOhio.gov, the Village of Galena provides links to various external websites. We do this as a public service for the benefit of citizens and other site visitors by helping them find easily the information they seek, whether it exists on the Village’s website or elsewhere.
However, the Village’s website does not and cannot include links for everything. The Village of Galena will choose the external websites to which it will link based on whether the linked sites provide useful and appropriate information about the Village and its government to residents, businesses, and visitors.
In general, links on the Village’s website must satisfy a specific governmental purpose, such as promoting and protecting the public health, safety and welfare. The Village of Galena website and the links that it contains are not intended to serve as a forum for public discussion or sharing of opinions.The Village will retain the right to determine whether a link to an external site will be placed on GalenaOhio.gov, and where and how that link will appear. Links are provided solely for the benefit of the Village and users of GalenaOhio.gov. The Village of Galena will determine the suitability of providing links on its website. The types of links the Village of Galena may allow on its website include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Official government institutions
- Accredited educational institutions
- Arts, cultural, and similar organizations of general interest to Village of Galena citizens
- Chambers of commerce, visitors bureaus, and other organizations that provide information of value for visitors to Galena
- Sites that promote significant economic development in the Village of Galena
- Festivals and community events in Galena and the venues where their events are located
- Internet mapping services
- Free software downloads needed to access information on the Village of Galena website
- Sites that further the Village’s governmental purposes
- Sites promoting illegal activities
- Sexually explicit websites
- For-profit commercial sites, except as permitted above
- Sites containing information that violates any of the Village’s affirmative action or equal opportunity policies
- Candidate sites and sites supporting or opposing candidates for local, state or federal office
- Individual or personal home pages
- Deny a link that does not meet the criteria set forth in this policy
- Deny or discontinue an external link at any time if the website provides or promotes false, slanderous, illegal, infringing or incorrect information
- Remove any external link if the nature of the organization changes in such a way that it no longer complies with the Village’s external link policy
- Revise this policy without prior notice.
Sites that are linked from the Village of Galena website may be reviewed periodically to confirm that the link still conforms to Village policy.
The Village Administrator will make the final determination regarding links on the Village’s website, working in consultation with Village staff. An appeal to that determination may be filed in writing with the Office of the Village Clerk within 30 days of the determination. Appeals will be decided by the Village Council.
Requests for clarification of this policy and suggestions for changes to this policy should be submitted to the Village Administrator.