Galena Village Council
The Village Council is the legislative branch of the village government. Council is comprised of six members who are elected by the voters of the Village on an at-large, non-partisan basis. The term of a council member is four years.
Contact information for each council member is provided below. However, if you would like to send an email to the village council collectively the address is email@example.com.
As the governing body, Council passes local laws, makes appointments to various boards and committees, and awards various contracts for purchases of goods and services used by the Village. They also review, amend, and adopt the annual budget for the Village prepared by the Village Administrator and the Fiscal Officer.
Meet the Council Members
Village Council Meetings
Council meetings are normally on fourth Mondays, starting 7:00 p.m., but sometimes need to be rescheduled due to conflicts with holidays or other extenuating circumstances. Additional meetings that are in addition to regular meetings, called “special meetings” are sometimes needed to handle time-sensitive matters. Check the community calendar for the scheduled dates, and view minutes of meetings here.
The agenda for each regular council meeting is posted five days prior at these five public locations around the Village:
- Outside bulletin board at Galena Village Hall, 109 Harrison Street
- Bulletin board in the lobby of the Galena U.S. Post Office, 34 W. Park Street
- Outside bulletin board at 13 W. Columbus Street
- Outside bulletin board at Ruffner Park, 152 Harrison Street
- Outside bulletin board at Miller Park, 268 N. Walnut Street
Meetings are open to the public, and are normally held at the Village Hall, 109 Harrison Street, Galena 43021.
- Any individual desiring to address Council on items appearing on the agenda shall notify the Clerk of Council before the beginning of each meeting. During the time when such items are addressed by Council, the individual will then be given the opportunity to address Council with their concerns.
- Any individual desiring to address Council on items, which require a Public Hearing, will be asked to address Council when the Public Hearing has been opened.
- All speakers are asked to be respectful of each other in order for all comments to be received. If considered necessary, a time limit on the length of comment period will be established.
- All meetings of the Village Council are open to the public except for Executive Sessions during which Council members may discuss specific types of business as defined by the Ohio Revised Code. Executive Sessions are for discussion only, since all formal action must be taken at regular or special meetings.
Vacancies on Village Council
Members of village council are elected to four-year terms. However, a situation may arise whereby a council seat is vacated during a term.
State law prescribes the process for how a vacated council seat is to be filled.
See these details about the appointment process and how someone can apply for being considered to fill a vacancy.